BGD 548 is a paint inspection gauge which is suitable for use wherever conventional electro-magnetic measuring techniques are ineffective, namely for coatings on wood, concrete, plastics and other non-metallic substrates.
Testing with the BGD 548 is based on the standardized wedge cut procedure: The coating is cut through at a defined angle in such a way that the cut penetrates the substrate. The layer thickness (s) is calculated on the basis of the slope projection (b) of the cut face, determined using a measuring microscope, and the cutting angle (α),Similarly, the individual layer thickness of multilayer systems can be ascertained.
The BGD 548 consists of a black painted aluminium block which accommodates the following functional elements:
- Exchangeable carbide tip with precision-ground angular cutting blade (come with 4 cutters)
No.1 Cutter: Measuring range: 20-2,800μm（Factor: 20 μm）
No.2 Cutter: Measuring range: 10-1,400μm（Factor: 10 μm）
No.3 Cutter: Measuring range: 5-700μm（Factor: 5 μm）
No.4 Cutter: Measuring range: 2-280μm（Factor: 2μm）
- Measuring microscope with a magnification of 50 and a reticle(2mm with 1/140 division), which is also suitable for inspection tasks.
- Two pairs of support pins to hold the measuring microscope securely and gudie the carbide tip.
- Battery compartment for 1.5 V battery block.
- Combination of LED and fibre-optic light guide for optimum specimen illumination at low current consumption.
- It complies with ASTM D4138, AS 1580 Meth 408.1